Dr Janet Kovak McClaran DVM, DACVS, DECVS, MRCVS (She/Her)
American and European Board-Certified Surgical Specialist
Dr McClaran is the Head of Surgery at London Veterinary Specialists. She is an ACVS Specialist Surgeon, specialising in soft-tissue surgery. Most recently, she was head of the Department of Surgery at the Animal Medical Center (AMC) in New York, one of the largest and busiest veterinary hospitals in the world.
Dr McClaran received her Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine from Tufts University, Massachusetts, USA in 1998. She then completed her internship and residency at the Animal Medical Center, staying on as a surgeon and residency director. She is an ACVS Specialist Surgeon, specialising in soft-tissue surgery.
Her time at the AMC provided Dr McClaran with in-depth experience across the entire range of soft tissue surgical procedures. In addition she has particular clinical and research interest in minimally-invasive and oncological (cancer) surgery.
As well as being an active member of the Veterinary Endoscopy Society and the Veterinary Soft Tissue Society, Dr McClaran serves on the ACVS Foundation Board, is an Advisor of the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine and member of the Veterinary Society of Surgical Oncology. She speaks nationally and internationally on minimally-invasive surgery at conferences and academic meetings, as well as publishing widely on the subject in journals and textbooks.
Publications, Presentations and Awards
- Rebekah Knight and Janet Kovak McClaran (2020) Hemoperitoneum Secondary to Liver Lobe Torsion in a Cat. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association: January/February 2020, Vol. 56, No. 1, e561-02. https://doi.org/10.5326/JAAHA-MS-6758
- Silveria C, Mcclaran JK, Gugich K, Benigni, Case report of feline gastric pneumatosis. Accepted for publication JFMS May 2018
- Knight R, Mcclaran JK. Hemoperitoneum secondary to liver lobe torsion in a cat. Accepted for publication JAHAA April 2018.
- McClaran JK, Pavia PP, Fischetti AJ, Donovan TD. Laparoscopic resection of a pancreatic beta cell tumor in a dog. JAAHA November/December 2017, Vol. 53, No. 6, pp. 338-345
- McClaran JK, Skerett S, Currao RL, Pavia PP, Tarvin KT. Comparison of Laparoscopic-Assisted Technique and Open Laparotomy for Gastrointestinal Biopsy in Cats. Vet Surg 2017; 46: 821-828.
- Skerrett S, McClaran JK, Palma D, Fox P. Clinical features and outcome of dogs with epiglottic retroversion with or without surgical treatment:24 cases. J Vet Intern Med. 2015 Nov-Dec;29(6):1611-8
- Raske M, McClaran JK, Mariano A. Short-term Wound complications and predictive variables for complication after limb amputation in dogs and cats. J Small Anim Pract. 2015 Apr;56(4):247-52
- Garneau MS, Price LL, Withrow SJ, Boston SE, Ewing PJ, McClaran JK, Liptak JM, Berg J Perioperative mortality and long-term survival in 80 dogs and 32 cats undergoing excision of thymic epithelial tumors. Vet Surg. 2015 Jul;44(5):557-64
- Hutton,JE, Steffey MA, Runge JJ, McClaran JK, Silverman SJ, Kass PH Outcome Following Surgical And Nonsurgical Management Of Patent Ductus Arteriosus In Cats: 28 Cases (1991-2012). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2015 Aug 1;247(3):278-85
- Pavia PP, McClaran JK, Should J. Outcome following liver lobectomy using thoracoabdominal staplers in cats. J Small Anim Pract. 2014 Jan;55(1):22-7
- Buote NJ, Kovak-McClaran JR, Loar AS, Cherrone KL.The effect of preoperative antimicrobial administration on culture results in dogs undergoing cystotomy.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2012 Nov 1;241(9):1185-9
- Petre SL, McClaran JK, Bergman PJ, Monette S. Safety and efficacy of laparoscopic hepatic biopsy in dogs: 80 cases (2004-2009). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2012 Jan 15;240(2):181-5.
- Spector DI, Fischetti AJ, Kovak-McClaran JR. Computed tomographic characteristics of intrapelvic masses in dogs. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 2011 Jan-Feb;52(1):71-4.
- Buote NJ, Kovak-McClaran JR, Schold JD. Conversion from diagnostic laparoscopy to laparotomy: risk factors and occurrence. Vet Surg. 2011 Jan;40(1).
- Eisele J, McClaran JK, Runge JJ, Holt DE, Culp WT, Liu S, Long F, Bergman PJ. Evaluation of risk factors for morbidity and mortality after pylorectomy and gastroduodenostomy in dogs. Vet Surg. 2010 Feb;39(2):261-7.
- Gordon SS, McClaran JK, Bergman PJ, Liu SM.Outcome following splenectomy in cats. J Feline Med Surg. 2010 Apr;12(4):256-61
- Buote N, McClaran JK, Should J. Conversion from Diagnostic Laparoscopy to Laparotomy: Risk Factors and Occurrence Vet Surg 2010 Dec 39 (8)
- McClaran JK, Buote NJ. Complications and need for conversion to laparotomy in small animals. Vet Clin North Anim Pract. 2009 Sep; 39(5): 941-951.
- Fischetti A and Kovak JR. Azygous Continuation of the Caudal Vena Cava with and without Portocaval Shunting. Journal Vet Rad and Ultrasound. 2008; 9(6): 573-576.
- Cavanaugh RP, Kovak JR, Barton LJ, Bergman PJ. Evaluation of surgically placed gastrojejunostomy tubes in critically ill dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008 Feb 1; 232(3): 380-388.
- Schwartz P, Kovak JR, Bergman PJ, Peterson M, Ludwig LL. Evaluation of prognostic factors in the surgical treatment of adrenal gland tumors in dogs: 41 cases (1999-2005). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008 Jan 1; 232(1): 77-84.
- Buote N, Kovak JR, Fischetti A, Monnette. Meckels diverticulum in a dog –what’s your diagnosis. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2007 Aug 15; 231(4): 527-528.
- Kovak JR, Ludwig LL, Bergman PJ, Baer KE, Noone KE. Use of thoracoscopy to determine the etiology of pleural effusion in dogs and cats: 18 cases (1998-2001) JAmVet Med Assoc. 2002 221(7): 990-994.
- McClaran JK Chapter 1: Minimally Invasive Surgery Client Consent, Complications and Conversion Decision, Tams & Rawlings: Small Animal Endoscopy, 4e
- Buote NJ and McClaran JK Laparoscopic Contraindications, Complications and Conversion In: Small Animal Laparoscopy and Thoracoscopy, Boel Fransson and Philipp Mayhew Eds. Hoboken, NJ. Wiley-Blackwell 2015.
- McClaran JK and Buriko K Intussception In: Small Animal Surgical Emergencies. Aronson, L, Ed. Hoboken, NJ. Wiley-Blackwell 2015.
- McClaran JK and NJ Buote: Liver and Biliary Tract In: Langley-Hobbs SJ et al, Eds Feline Soft Tissue and General Surgery London, Elsevier; 2014: 245-260
- Mcclaran JK: Diaphragmatic and Peritoneopericardial Diaphargmatic Hernias In: Monnet (ed) Small Animal Soft Tissue Surgery Ames, IA: Wiley and Sons; 2013: 278-285
- Kovak JR. Foreign body, linear gastrointestinal. In: Cote, ed.: Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Dogs and Cats (3rd ed) Louis, Mo: Mosby; 2014:pp 407-9.
- Kovak JR. Gastrointestinal obstruction: foreign body or neoplasia. In: Cote, ed.: Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Dogs and Cats (3rd ed) Louis, Mo: Mosby; 2014: pp 445-6.
- Kovak JR: Rectoanal stricture. In Cote, ed.: Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Dogs and Cats (3rd ed) Louis, Mo: Mosby; 2014:pp 965-6.
- Kovak JR: Diseases of the parathyroid gland. In Bojrab and Monnet, Eds. Mechanisms of Disease in Small Animal Surgery Jackson, WY: Teton New Media; 2010: 469-471
- Kovak JR: Diseases of the thyroid gland. In Bojrab and Monnet, Eds. Mechanisms of Disease in Small Animal Surgery Jackson, WY: Teton New Media ; 2010: 466-468
- Minimally Invasive Solutions to Gastrointestinal Problems. Presented at: Partners in Practice, April 2015, New York, NY
- Surgical Management of Urinary Obstruction. Presented at: Partners in Practice, October 2013, New York, NY
- Minimally Invasive Management of Urinary Calculi. Presented at: Partners in Practice, October 2013, New York, NY
- Minimally Invasive Gastrointestinal Surgery. Presented at: Partners in Practice, December 2011, New York, NY
- Advances in Minimally Invasive Surgery. Presented at: CE in the City, March 2011, New York, NY
- Decision making in Adrenal Surgery. Invited Panelist ACVS annual symposium, Oct 2010
- Laparoscopy: Bonehead mistakes. Presented at: Symposium of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, October 2009; Washington, DC
- Complications of Laparoscopic Surgery. Presented at: Veterinary Endoscopic Society Annual Meeting, March 2009; Cancun, Mexico
- Indications for conversion of laparoscopy to laparotomy. Presented at: Symposium of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, October 2008; San Diego, CA
- Minimally invasive surgery. Animal Medical Center Lecture Series, May 2008; New York, NY
- Tracheal stenting in dogs. Presented at: New York City Veterinary Medical Association, February 2006; New York, NY
- Management of feline ureteroliths. Presented at: Advanced Renal Therapies Symposium, March 2004; New York, NY
- The use of thoracoscopy to diagnose pleural effusion of ambiguous etiology. Presented at Symposium of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, October, 2004; Chicago, IL
- Instructor-Resident Endoscopic Skills Laboratory, AVCS Annual Symposium 2010-14
- Poster Committee Invited Judge. Symposium of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, October 2009; Washington, DC
- Instructor-Minimally Invasive Surgery Laboratory. Symposium of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, October 2008; San Diego, CA; October 2007; Chicago, IL
- Veterinary Society of Surgical Oncology Biannual Meeting 2014
- Veterinary Endoscopic Society Annual Meeting, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012
- Society for Veterinary Soft Tissue Surgery Annual Meeting, 2003-2006
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons Annual Symposium, 2001-2014
- AO/ASIF Advanced Course, 2002
- Eastern Veterinary Orthopedic Society Annual Meeting, 1999-2001
- AO/ASIF Basic Course, 1999
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Veterinary Surgery Journal Editorial Review Board 2008-2014
- Public Relations Committee 2005-2008, Foundation Board 2012-Present
- Veterinary Society of Surgical Oncology
- Veterinary Endoscopic Society
- Society for Soft Tissue Surgery
- The Animal Medical Center-Quality Assurance Board, Curriculum Committee, Communications Committee, Referral Committee, Redesign Committee, Scheduling Committee
- Professional licensure – New York State
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- New York City Veterinary Medical Association
HONORS AND AWARDS
ACVS Small Animal Student Surgery Award
Tufts School of Veterinary Medicine
Pi Beta Sigma, National Biology Honor Society
The College of William and Mary